Understanding Nose Fatigue and Smell Blindness
This content is for those who encounter nose fatigue with Riddle Original or Sphinx. It is not a common problem but does come up, and we would like to offer you some education as to why so you can understand what is happening scientifically.
- Customer A smelled it on someone else and loved it; then, when they put it on, they didn't smell it as strongly or at all.
- Customer B smelled it at a store or on someone and loved the scent; they purchased it then found that they didn't smell it as strongly or at all when they wore it next.
- Customer C is a loyal Riddle Original user and have gone through several bottles to find that eventually, they don't smell it anymore.
First, please know that Riddle Original and Sphinx are our top-selling scents. They are distilled in a controlled environment that renders each batch to be the same potency as the first one ever made. Our batches are always tested for color, scent, and molecular structure before being used in our products.
Then why can't these customers smell it?
Whether you are customer A, B, or C, the reason you're experiencing this is found by investigating how our sense of smell works and how perfumes and colognes are made.
There are four points to carry away about how our sense of smell works:
- Our sense of smell is designed to aid in our survival, not for cosmetic purposes. When your nose picks up a new scent, it is highly sensitive to it. It takes in all of the molecule information and decides if it is safe or unsafe. If your limbic system determines that the scent is harmless, it will begin to ignore it to continue with its job of hunting out new potential dangers.
- Everyone perceives smells differently and has a different personal scent given their diet, mood, hormones, and lifestyle. We also all heat up and diffuse our scents differently. Some Riddle Original and Sphinx wearers diffuse it and can be smelled from far away while others diffuse it like an aura closer around their body and trail it as they walk.
- When you smell a scent on someone, you smell the base of that scent mixed with their natural scent. This is why you can smell the same perfume on two different people, and after about an hour of wearing it, it smells like a slightly or dramatically different scent altogether. Because the base note becomes a part of the wearer and they are used to their natural scent, it is easy for them to begin not to smell it and think it "wore off" quickly.
- Your scent cells are renewed every 28 days and therefore have a "new nose".
Making a typical fragrance:
The way a perfume or cologne is created is by layering top, middle and base notes. What differentiates these is the weight of the molecule. The top is the lightest and evaporates quickly, which is the scent you receive from right out of the bottle. The middle takes around 10-20 minutes to evaporate, and the base comes out about 30-45 minutes later and lasts the longest.
Riddle Original and Sphinx are made of only base notes. This is not common of many scents and is what makes it unique and popular yet requires some explanation at times.
Riddle Original and Sphinx become a part of you and enhances your natural scent and pheromones. You are not as sensitive to it because it is you and because you don't have the top and middle note, you think it is scentless.
How often are you aware of your own scent?
Consider the person that walks past you and assaults your nose with pungent cologne/perfume. I assure you that they don't know how strong it is. Their scent receptors begin to ignore the scent they wear, so they layer it on believing that it's gone.
Riddle Original and Sphinx are still there. You may not be sensitive enough to pick up their subtle nature, but they are still making you smell great and will come back to you in waves. This subtle factor is why most people love Riddle Original and Sphinx so much; it isn't overpowering but more of a fresh and clean presence. They trust that it is there and are often reminded when people stop them to ask what they are wearing.
It is a lot to take in, but our sense of smell is a very complex system. Riddle Original and Sphinx are always there and keeping you fresh and smelling great...we promise :)
I do want to stress that our batches of Original and Sphinx are quite large. They usually last a few months, and regardless of which product is purchased (samples/roll-ons/spray lotion, etc.), they all come from the same batch and are all equally as fragrant. The same goes for any possible exchanges would also likely come from the same batch.
I can guarantee that your Original and Sphinx oil is an accurate representation of our product. We've had plenty of returning customers run into this issue at first and continue to purchase it.
Unfortunately, someone will experience nose fatigue or musk anosmia and then started asking people around them if they smell anything. People will start agreeing that they don't smell anything because of how the question is presented to them, and because the scent is already very light and requires body heat to evaporate, it is easy to say that it is scentless. Then we end up with an issue of several people agreeing there is no scent. Meanwhile, we make such large batches and ship hundreds of bottles a day from the same batch; if there were a problem with the batch, we would know very quickly across the board. The issue is not our products potential lack of consistency ("bad batch"); it's simply the fact that while our batches are super consistent, our noses are not.
Our Original and Sphinx scents are really intimate personal scents. They require some patience; I recommend continuing to wear your fragrance alone and see how it develops on you. Unlike most scents, you're not going to get instant gratification, but I'm sure it's going to grow on you.